We invite you to join us in marking Giving Tuesday Now, a global day of giving and unity on May 5.
You may be used to hearing about this as part of the cavalcade of “days” surrounding American Thanksgiving, from Black Friday to Cyber Monday to Giving Tuesday. This year, the movement has designated another day as part of the emergency response to COVID-19, and May 5 is it.
If you have money to give, there are a number of local charities that could use your support. Here are some suggestions from members of our crew:
- Linda Hoang, curator of the Media Roundup, suggests Ronald McDonald House Charities Alberta.
- Emily Rendell-Watson, curator of the Music Roundup, suggests the Bissell Centre.
- Sharon Yeo, curator of the Food Roundup, suggests the Edmonton Food Bank.
- Taproot co-founder Mack Male, who curates the Tech Roundup and the Council Roundup, suggests Edmonton Meals on Wheels.
- Taproot co-founder Karen Unland (that’s me) suggests the Edmonton Community Foundation’s Rapid Response Fund.
There’s also a movement afoot to turn May 5 into Giving News Day. The economic disruption surrounding COVID-19 has taken its toll on local journalism at a moment when we need reliable and responsible information more than ever.
Canada doesn’t have the same kind of philanthropic support for journalism that the U.S. has, but you can still make a contribution. If, for example, you wanted to support Taproot, here are a few ways:
- Spread the word about Taproot. You could start by sharing this post!
- Become a Taproot Member.
- Become a Taproot sponsor.
Thanks for your interest. We’ll get through this together.